X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing rear axle on atc70

I am having a heck of a time removing the rear axle from my atc70 to replace the bearings. I took off the hubs the chain and the brake drum. The manual said to just slide it out from the left hand side. Yeah right!

Any insite or tricks will be appreciated. Accidentally posted this in the lounge earlier

Thank you

I'm surprised KASEY hasn't chimed in on this one.

Comment

Chime in Kasey.

Comment

ALRIGHT!!! seems that your bearings are seized to the axle, cause they do just slide in,,, looks like your going to have to lay it on its side block it up under the bearing housing,,, get a heavy hammer and a block of hard wood ,,, put the nut back on the axle . if you put it on backwards it will give you a better surface to hit on,,,, lay the block on the end of the axle and have at it!!!!

Comment

rou dont ever whack away on a nut or threaded axle!!!!! put a deep socket on it that fits a;ll the way down to the surface the hub rest against. i have had to repair alot of axles from stupity such as beatign a an axle or a nut on an axle.

Comment

i have had to repair alot of axles from stupity such as beatign a an axle or a nut on an axle.
            you callin me STUPID!!!! WITH a block of wood on top of the nut you can beat till your blue in the face and not hurt anything,,,,,,

Comment

ALSO as you can see by the picture there is not a big enough lip on a 70 axle to use your method,,,,,,, you would have to use a 5/8 deep socket to beat on the shoulder next to the threads ,,,hmmm possible dinging them up too,,,, i myself would rather use a wood spacer rather than metal to metal with a socket as you have suggested

Comment

Thank you for the advice Kasey. I thought about doing that but I did something a little different because I had not seen your post yet.

I drove a small screwdriver between the balls in the bearings to break out the pieces that keeps the balls seperated. Then I was able to knock the balls out of both sides and the axle came right out. Then all that was left was driving the races out of the carrier and off of the axle.

Comment

what ever works!!!!

ok now something that is real critical. the spacer between the bearings must be tight between the bearings when you put it back together,,, if not a spacer needs to be made to made to elimenate all the slack,, if you don't you will side load the bearings and they will not last very long,,,,

Comment

I am going to clean it up with a scotchbright pad and spray a little lube in there before I replace the bearings.

Where is the best place to get new seals and bearings, dealer or online? I am thinking about getting the parts at DR.ATV online, but if there is a better place for old honda parts I would like to know.

Thank you again for the reply.

Comment

a bearing house will be the cheapest place ... maybe dads has a kit,,, you might look in the sticky in classifieds

Comment

You must have recently replaced yours. Are the new bearings sealed or are they just like the old ones?

Comment

Working...
                        X