X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350X Aftermarket Gas Tank ????????

Does anyone have a picture of an IMS gas tank on a 350X? I want to buy one,but can't find a picture of one anywhere.

Also: I've read that decals will not stick to a plastic tank for very long. Does anybody have any experience with mounting decals on an aftermarket plastic tank?

Thanks a bunch for any info....

After twenty years,I finally got a 350X.......

i have a picture of the 3.0gallon one

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...iftphase1a.jpg

Comment

Another option is Clarke
      If you leave fuel in the tank for long periods of time the vapors of the fuel coming through the plastic will be hard on decals.
      Welcome skunkworks!

Comment

I have a white IMS, I like everything about it!

I bid have to make some billet aluminum mounts though, the plastic mounts were useless.....

All plastic tanks allow the decals to look like Grandpas bum........

Comment

Originally posted by likestrikes
          All plastic tanks allow the decals to look like Grandpas bum........
          True dat!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I thought the IMS might look a little more like the OEM tank.
            That picture looks alot like the Clark tanks I've seen....

I guess my next question would be...... Who repairs metal tanks and can paint or powder it so it can take fuel being spilled on it.....
            I really want to be able to put decals on the tank,however, I do think that plastic is the way to go...
            Thanks again for the welcome.

Comment

Another nice thing about plastic tanks is they don't dent like metal ones do as well as they don't bang up your knees either.

Comment

Decals just will not hold up. Any body shop can reapir and paint your stock tank. The Automotive paint will hold up to gas and decals will adhere. I have a Clarke on mine and I love it.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/o...x/DSC02724.jpg

Comment

I Gota go for the IMS tank.

They suported the TRIKE RALLY. So i say go that route.

Comment

I am going to add one exception to this discussion. I have put your standard vinyl decals on my 350X with a Clarke tank and within days they bubbled up from the gas vapors. I was pretty much convinced that putting decals on plastic tanks was a lost cause however, my SX has gave me renewed hope. When I rebuilt my cop trike (Breakin the Law) I had a very specific scheme in mind which called for printed decals on my plastic Clarke tank. When I put the decals on the tank I figured it would be days before I'd be peeling them off. Well, they have been on the tank for over a year and NO bubbling..WTF...

I had these decals printed at Sign by Tomorrow and perhaps Chip (ADW3) could shed some light on this because thats the biz he's in but its obvious that standard vinyl are effected but these decals I had printed are on a different material and they are printed with a solvent based ink rather than a water based ink. I thought Breakin the Law was a fluke so I temped fate and tried decals on my 70 tank (Spontanous Combustion) and those decals have been on that plastic tank for going on a year. Now, with that said I have to say that the tanks were all new when I put the decals on them. I don't know what the long tem effects will be on the decals but there isn't even a hint of bubbling and my tanks always have gas in them. Perhaps ADW3 can shed some light on this but I'm pleased as punch with the results.

Comment

not to vear off subject but ... I always thought the SX had a metal tank... you cant even tell thats plastic!

Comment

For stickers on a plastic tank you can get a perferator (sp) and punch very small holes in the sticker to let the fumes vent. This is how the stickers for dirtbikes came for years.

Comment

I have been contemplating this dilemma lately myself.
                          I was thinking of Kreeming or Redkoting the tank. This would keep the color of the tank from fading after time...from the gas. This would also keep the vapors from making the decals bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas250RR
                            not to vear off subject but ... I always thought the SX had a metal tank... you cant even tell thats plastic!
                            They did Vegas but after I painted the metal tank that came on it, the paint started to bubble along a seam so I bought a plastic one.

Comment

Originally posted by 225
                              I have been contemplating this dilemma lately myself.
                              I was thinking of Kreeming or Redkoting the tank. This would keep the color of the tank from fading after time...from the gas. This would also keep the vapors from making the decals bubble.
                              bad idea 225, I have never kreamed a plastic tank myself but I have heard that the Kream does not bond to the plastic very well. I may be wrong about that but I have heard that from a few people.

Comment

Working...
                              X