X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 225 DX wont move

i just got a 1983 yamaha 225DX for $75(cant go wrong at that price). It runs like a top but when you put it in gear it just grinds. what is that?
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks
    kyle

Sounds like some worn out tranny gear`s. You might be splitting the case on that one to see what all is damaged. Or check out ebay and see if you can find a used bottom end for it.

Comment

Isn't that a shaft drive model? If so is the noise coming from the differential or the engine area?

Comment

I dunt wanna burst your bubble but...

It may be the final drive gear, mine is going out and I just bought it, also could be a gear or two fvcked up.

First try this, put it in 1st and see if it goes, if not try second then third and so on and so fourth to check to see if it is the mainshaft gears or counter shaft. Let us know how it go's, BTW nice job on finding a Yamaha, can't beat the 225DX, they truck

Comment

im not sure where the noise is

im hoping its the rear end though. i dont think its even going into gear? it doesnt move in any gear. I sure hope its minor the thing runs like a top.
          By The Way whats worp speed on this ride?
          Kyle

Comment

Try adjusting the clutch.. Its a nut with a screw in the middle on the right side crank case. Loosen the nut a bit, then turn in the screw until you feel a slight resistance, then back it of an eigth of a turn or so, then retighten the nut.

Comment

Could be almost anything in the drive train. All you can do is eliminate each possibility one at a time. I have an '85 225DR that i've had up to 52 mph. That's with a DG exhaust that has really lets the motor breathe. Good luck with that tranny.

Comment

Yeah you definatly don't wanna wish its the rear end, they are mighty pricey and you have to buy the whole thing, you cannot buy individual peices of it. All or nothing, good luck...

Comment

yeah i do wish it is the rear end cause...

i know where 2 more are sitting so......if the clutch is F-ed up, will the gear still grind though?
                  thanks guys
                  kyle

Comment

Re: yeah i do wish it is the rear end cause...

Originally posted by hondaATC200X
                    ..if the clutch is F-ed up, will the gear still grind though?
                    That adjuster on the side case is the shift adjuster, dosent affect clutches. The primary clutch is centrifugal and the secondary friction plates. I'd find it hard to believe the clutch is so bad that its grinding. Does it only grind when you try to move in gear?

Looks like final drive ..

Good luck

Comment

read

well it grinds when i try to put it in at all. and when it finally pops in its fine at idle, and then when i give it gas she grinds like hell and dont move.
                      kyle

Comment

That adjusting screw and locknut on the right side case is definately the multi-disc adjustment. I have two service manuals on these bikes and they both say the same thing.

Comment

ok your making this toooooooo hard on yourself.
                          lets analize the situation
                          1. it grinds when you put it in gear,ok we know that
                          2. it wont move
                          3. you have 2 other rear ends lying around
                          4.your a dummy

So did you even check to see if it will go into any other gears? if it will and move then it is definatly the shifting fork that locks the gear in place. Do yourself a BIG favor and see if it goes into any other gears and let us know.

Comment

im not a dummy

i said i know where 2 more 225s are sitting i didnt say that i had them.. READ CLOSER DUUUUUH

Comment

Well did you check it out or not?

Comment

Working...
                              X