Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Tech Tip; 350X Fork Upgrade

heres a tech tip for you 350X guys. one of my little suspension secrates

if you want to increses your front suspension travel and get better action, the 83/84 ATC 250R uses the exact same diameter fork legs as a 350X. however the 250R has more travel. now before you think to just switch your 350X forks for 250R forks you have to relize the 250R is trailing axel and the 350X is leading axel. if you were to just use the 250R forks you would decrease your wheelbase and on a front end light 350X that is not good. the trick is the remove the inner damping rods from the 250R forks and install them in the 350X sliders ( lower fork legs). this will increase your travel 1" and alow you more spring choices. you can now run 350X springs with differant spacers, 350X progressive springs or run stock 250R springs for a stiffer rate. or run progressive suspension 250R springs for an even stiffer spring.

oh the options avalible

who has a pair of 250r forks?

Comment

i got a set off from a 1984 250R, one fork is slightly bent, and has a blown seal, everything else is good on them, i also have a set of extra springs for these forks, and some exta sliders, just let me know if your interested, these were on my 84 R, but im parting it out now, they didnt effect my steering or anything, they still rode perfectly straight, and smooth rebound

Comment

its ok if the tubes are bent.

the only parts needed from the 250R forks for the 350X are the inner damping rods and springs. you could use the 250R tubes but it is not nesasarry. the thing to switch are the sliders

Comment

Originally posted by MR ATC
          the thing to switch are the sliders
          maybe I read that wrong but I thought I used the stock 350x tubes & sliders and only swapped over the "guts" from the 250r forks?

PM me a price on what I need or the complete assm. if that's how you want to sell them.

Comment

dan you can use either one the 250R tubes or the 350X tubes.

here is the brakedown

350X sliders

83/84 250R "guts"...damping rod, springs,

83/84 250R tubes or 350X tubes

Comment

Comment

i sent you a PM, check it out and let me know if you agree with the price...

thanks,
                -Jared

oh, and i can get pictures for you if needed

Comment

i have seen "KITS" that are a aluminum spacer the same size as the dampening rod and a longer bolt ,, which i guess would do the same thing?????

Comment

fair enough. i'll answere the question? maybe i overreacted
                    Last edited by Black Sheep; 10-02-2003, 11:03 PM.

Comment

,,, when you put 250r rods in your 350x forks you are putting a 1" longer rod in,,right,, so a 1" spacer would do exactly the same thing right ?
                      i bought a kit like this from HONDA for a cr125 i use to have ,, so i was wondering what your opinion was...... thats all

Comment

ok lets start with this.

when you want to modify something, you useually do it to increase its performance. with a suspension mod like increasing your travel you are doing such a mod to handle higher stress loads ( bigger jumps/larger hits = more stress ) do you agree???

now whenever you use a spacer to increase somethings size you decrease the strength ( your incresing leverage on a shorter object )

the longer the distance between the underside surface of a bolt head and the actuall threads, decreses the bolts strength.

in short, one long rod is stronger then two rods bolted together.

thats just one reason. another is damping holes...

the rods have "holes" in them that allow the oil to flow through them and this provides your damping.

the height of which theses "holes" are placed plays a crucial element to fork performance.

the holes on the longer rods are positioned in a place to work with that length rod.

the holes on the shorter rods are in position for there length.

when you space the rods out you change that oil "holes" position and alter at what time the oil flows through them.

p.s. the size of the holes plays a part as well. but thats all comming up in a tech thread.
                        Last edited by Black Sheep; 10-02-2003, 11:38 PM.

Comment

simple question ,,simple answer ,,everyone learns something

Comment

Im smarter now.

Comment

Excellent post . Keep them comming

Comment

Working...
                              X