X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Find - mint 1987 Big Red

I have just run across a mint 1987 Honda Big Red 3 wheeler for sale. This trike has very low usage and is all original.
    The owner told me it is not registerable and is only good for parts, even though it all there and intact.
    There is no price on it, but I have to make an offer.
    Any ideas what it's worth?
    Is it registerable or only good for parts?

Thanks for any info.

You can get it registered. Even if you can't register it buy it and ride it. I know in Canada if its mint it would sell for $1500 to $2000 Canadian.

Nice find

Comment

There's an '83 Big Red in the paper locally that says all original in great shape ready to ride for $500...I'd like to pick it up myself but wifey says no more toys 'till spring.

By the way Jenn.....the phone number looks to be from the Turner area...

Comment

Is it possible to register a 3 wheeler?
        I thought they where recalled or banned back in the 80's

Comment

all of ours are registered. some hadent been for years before i owned them. i dont know how it works in N.Y. though.
          offer the guy 500 for it and see if you can get it for that. if it runs at all it is worth more. i'm sure you can register it you may have to pay back taxes on it. here in Utah they can only go back 2 years in back taxes. good luck!! and whatever you do dont tell the guy it can be registered.

Comment

It sounds like a good deal but I'd do some digging to find-out why it can't be registered. All of my trikes have come to me with expired registrations (one hadn't been registered in almost ten years!) As long as I had a signed pink slip (title) or bill of sale I've had no problems though I once had to take the ATC I wanted to register to the DMV to have the VIN and Engine numbers recorded.

So first find-out what the process in NY is for registering off-highway vehicles, then find-out if the trike you're looking to buy has it's frame # (locate at the front of frame, near where the handlebars mount). Engine number should be on one side of the case, near the bottom.

Personally if either of these numbers have been altered or are missing I'd pass on this trike and wait for the next one, messed-up numbers could mean the trike was stolen!

HTH

--Kevin

Comment

i just read up on the NY registeration, and you CAN NOT regiater trikes! quads and dirtbikes only! that sucks arse! sorry about the bad news, but if you buy it and sell it out of state, you could probably turn a profit, or let someone form the board buy it to add to their collection.

Comment

Well, there has to be some way to register them in NY, or at least the Ranger told me that they needed to be registered and insured when he gave me my ticket !! I would guess that you could get a lost title form at the dmv like you would with any other vehicle. When I registered a moped that didn't have the title I had to fill out a form and have the last owner sign it then bring it to the dmv along with a tracing of the vin #.

-Andrew

Comment

according to what i read, you can't register trikes at all. not even to ride on your own property. but someone form NY on the board should know better than me.

Comment

Originally posted by 350XXX
                    i just read up on the NY registeration, and you CAN NOT regiater trikes! quads and dirtbikes only! that sucks arse! sorry about the bad news, but if you buy it and sell it out of state, you could probably turn a profit, or let someone form the board buy it to add to their collection.
                    THIS IS NOT TRUE!! THIS IS NOT TRUE! Where do you people get your information???? Personally, I dont register mine, but My buddy Dyonofox has His registered, it is NO PROBLEM. Dont mislead this poor guy. NY is not Nazi York....

Comment

Get the VIN from the upper bearing tube. Call DMV in NY and ask if they can do a search and see if if the number has ever been registered. I did with mine in PA and they said it has never been registered. You don't want a "hot" trike for sure. After they checked it out, they asked if I would like to register it and gave me the info I needed to do it. I'm betting NY has a similar procedure.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                        I looked for a VIN but didn't see it.
                        The only numbers I saw where noise emmision info "1987 HONHA00246" and "BIG RED" plastered all over the place
                        I am assuming this is a 250?
                        Sorry I don't know anything about these Hondas, but would like to learn.
                        I can go back and look for specific things before I make an offer, any suggestions of things to look for or buyers checklist?

Comment

Register

I just registered a Yamaha Tri Z in NY. The owner that I got it from (dads) just had to take a picture of the VIN, get an etching of the VIN, give me a bill of sale, and sign a Statement stating that he had owned it for over a year. $24.00 later, and I had my plate and registration. Now getting it running is another story. If you dont buy it, pass the name/number along, heck, I would by it

Comment

sorry for the miinformation, i'm pretty sure i just read it in dirt wheels or atv action. if i find it, i'll pass along the source and WE can complain. sorry again.

Comment

thats a sweet tri z....

dave

Comment

Working...
                              X