X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering atc as "antique all terrain vehicle"

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to register a 3 wheeler as a antique ?? This being a one time registration for the vehicle so it would save a lot of money.There is some regulations on doing so for the other vehicles as far as driving them to a show or parade but I see a lot of people that do this and drive there cars and bikes a lot and just to go here and there with them all the time. Same as registering a motorcycle or snowmobile or muscle car. I went in to my town office today and asked and they said they had never heard of this before, so I guess I will call the state monday and find out if its possible.

That would be GREAT if that could happen! I'll check into it here Monday!

Comment

I don't know if you can in Maine but in New Hampshire you can it costs $50.50. You send in the info and they send you a plate.

Comment

Great idea but, isn't registering only half the problem? It's the insurance that kills us, $400.00 per machine, per year. The 'antique' status would save some cash not having to re-register every year.

Comment

In mn you dont even need registration if your machine is 25 years or older. Thats a sweet deal.

Comment

Originally posted by edmonster View Post
            In mn you dont even need registration if your machine is 25 years or older. Thats a sweet deal.
            yes it is

Comment

I would think you might see more older antique machines out riding if you could register them this way. I have talked to a few and they have asked me about registering them every year just to go and ride them on the trails for 5-6 times a year. They said it wouldn't be worth it to them to register they're old 3 wheeler for just a couple of rides so they don't bother to and just leave them parked. But won't sell them. Go figure.

Comment

I'm going to look into this. It would be awesome to sport an "Antique" plate while riding around.

Comment

Checked on this and it appears that there is no such law to be able to do this in Maine . The person I spoke to at the state department of registration said I would have to talk to a state representative about getting this passed through so it could be presented to the legislature and so on . When i mentioned about there is more antique atvs then there are antique .sleds in Maine and that the state would benefit. this person told me that most of them machines that are old enough to register as an Antique have been broke down dead for years, or junked out and not reliable enough to take it out for a ride. I just laughed

Comment

If its 25 years or older in MN it doesn't NEED to be registered as it meets collector ATV regulations being that age but your going to run into trouble actually using it. Most of the public ride locations required DNR registration and a license plate on the back showing your registration number, they don't care if its a collector or not and your always butting heads with them over it. Not to mention the cops always stopping you if your out on the township roads, where its legal to ride but you have to be registered, and they see there is no license plate on it. We have to make our own plate, the regs specify the plate size, letter size, sticker placement, and its all a way for them to ticket you to generate revenue.

Where i live we can get a city permit, but only if its first registered for public use. Public use registration cost me $53.50 and the city permit another $20, but its so worth it because i can ride it everywhere except on the side of state highways and in the ditches til August, we are the agricultural zone and the ditches are off limits due to nesting birds, pheasants etc, during the summer months. The county doesn't even mow them for a few months because of it also.

I see some mentioned insurance, $400 a year?? Ouch! I pay $17 a year with State Farm for liability on mine, thats all we need here, and thats all i carry on it, cause lets face it on a nearly 30 year old machine your not going to get much of a payout even if you had full coverage, the insurance agent ran through the choices with me and it wasn't worth spending $200 a year to fight them for my money if something bad happened. My homeowners covers it anyway if something happened to it while it was parked at home as personal property housed in insured structure.

Some states sure have issues thats for sure!

Comment

Working...
                    X